Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The wedding is coming, the wedding is coming start planning

Now I had a ring on my finger, his love in my heart and a wedding to plan. My Dad and step Mom said they would pay for and help plan my wedding but they lived in CT and we were in IN. So when he left to go back to training to join the active duty Army I packed up and went to CT to plan my wedding in Indiana. It was going to be a crazy planning from far away but we were getting married in 2 months and I needed my Dad and Step mom's help so off I went. We had a lot to do in just a little time. I had picked dresses for my girls before I left so that was done but that was about it. We went dress hunting, ordered a few from Penny's catalog but didn't love those, went to a few shops but didn't find anything I loved then we went to a little store near their house and I fell in love with a dress on the bargain rack. Of course I was no skinny bride but they ensured me they could make the dress fit so we went with it and the fittings began. I loved my dress and couldn't wait to wear it. Then the planning really began. We had invitations, reception, honeymoon, cake, and ceremony all to get done. Luckily my step-mom's aunt was a minister back in Indiana and agreed to marry us at her church and we could use the church for the small reception after the wedding. So that was checked off the list pretty early on. Then the invitations we decided to make those using my Dad's computer and premade blank cards. So we designed them and got the printed. The cards were basic white with an embossed design and we printed And the two shall become one... on the front of the card and glued a red heart rhinestone on the front of the card. Then the inside contained the wedding invitations. I am crafty type person and loved being able to make things for wedding. In fact the invitations were the first of many craft projects I would take on. My step mom found an awesome bridal craft store and I foudn so many things to make for the wedding.

Those that know me, know that I am not a dress shoe kind of call. I wore white keds to the prom because I despised dress shoes. When I first got to CT. my step-mom told me that she had seen lace high tops at the mall. I was thrilled. We went on mission to find them as I desperately wanted them. Finally we found them. They were white lace high top gym shoes and they were perfect. I got some extra white flower pieces to decorate them. They even had white lace shoe laces. I was so happy with my crazy shoes. For the wedding I put a little pin that had been my grandfather's on my shoe so he would be part of my wedding since he had passed on when I was just 13. Then I needed a veil so back to the craft store we went and I got the stuff to make my veil. I had a lot of fun trying different ways to make the veil before deciding on one that I really liked and finished it. Jason's one reguest for the wedding was that he wanted to lift a veil to kiss me so I made sure to include that.
I am a sentimental kind of person so for a wedding band I wanted something special. I asked my grandmother if I could have her wedding band from when she married my grandfather. She had gotten remarried in June and was very happy to pass along the ring to me. Even better it fit perfectly. Then I went in hunt of Jason's ring. I found one that looked a whole lot like my grandmothers and it was on clearance so we had matchingish rings and were able to keep to our poor kids budget.
I, of course, had been writing and talking to Jason all I could during that summer. Heck we each even had mini tape recorders and would send each other tapes just so we could hear each other's voice. I was suppose to go down and visit him during training but we could never figure out a good time where we would be able to spend time together so that never worked out. But I was glad that I had all the wedding plans to keep from going crazy missing him. At least I had our wedding and future to look forward to while we were apart.
The big news from Jason during all of the wedding preparation was where were we going to live, or better yet where was the Army going to send us. The other guys in his unit were getting there assignments some even got Italy and other overseas places and it was down to just him and one other guy waiting on word of where they would go. I kept getting letters saying he still hadn't heard anything yet. Then one day he called and said I would never guess where we are going to live. Of course I am guessing all kinds of overseas countries and what not. Then he told me we are going to Hawaii. I was like you have got to be kidding. I was excited and terrified at the same time, I was excited to be going to Hawaii but so afraid of being so far away from everyone we knew. We would be together and married so that was the main part.
With almost everything taken care of the last thing we needed to figure out was vows and the ceremony. I wished we could have written our own vows but I knew that would not happen so we went with the standard wedding vows. For the ceremony we knew that so many people were not thrilled with the fact that we were getting married so we had the minister take out the part about if Anyone here has just cause why these two should not be married to speak now or forever hold their peace. We highly doubted anyone would say anything but we didn't even want to give them the opportunity so we took it out.
Then just a couple of more wedding dress fittings and some other smaller details our wedding was planned. Now we just had to make it to the church on time.

No comments: