Tuesday, February 5, 2008

You are my friend and I am grateful for that

Once he returned from the Army training we continued on our journey of friendship. I loved being with him and talking to him. He was amazing to me and my heart would just thump whenever he was around. I loved going to movies with him, playing putt putt, hanging at the skating rink where he worked. I think I skipped school a few times and went to college classes with him just so we could hang out.
Then things changed with his girlfriend. I heard that she was cheating on him and I knew he would be heart broken to find out. For whatever reason my boyfriend at the time took it upon himself to tell Jason about it. I remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach when I knew his heart was being broken. I tried to call him that evening to see how he was doing but his parents said he was out walking. Since we lived in the same neighborhood I went and sat outside hoping to see him walk by. I can still see him walking down the street, wearing his sherpa lined denim jacket looking down at the ground and walking slowly around the corner. My heart broke seeing how sad he was. What would I say to him, how could I make it a little better for him. He slowly came up to us and I just remember taking him in my arms and holding him in a big hug. We sat at the end of my driveway and talked for awhile. He was so sad, I just wanted to fix it for him. Then my sister's friend came out of the house and started yapping away. She popped off with well since you don't have a girlfriend any more you can just date Heather. As much as I would have loved that I knew he was in no place to even be considering that. I told her to shut up. Shortly after that Jas went back to walking.
I can't say I was heartbroken that they broke up. I loved knowing that he was now available but I was not going to upset him and pursue him. He knew what I thought and knew that I would be there if that is ever something he wanted to pursue. Until then he would remain my friend and I would be grateful for that if I couldn't have more.

No comments: